Located just 15 minutes from the lively Unawatuna beach and the historic UNESCO World Heritage site of Galle Fort, Handugoda House blends modern holiday amenities with rustic tropical design. It joins a collection of characteristic inland properties in the south that offer a rare glimpse into scenic rural Sri Lanka but is close enough to allow guests to enjoy all the delights the coast has to offer.
The villa is made up of a large central living space that opens out to lush paddy fields and infinity swimming pool. The living area is flanked by three en-suite double bedrooms, kitchen, courtyard, and terrace with a shaded dining pavilion.
– There is a Tuk Tuk on hand for exploration further afield. (Trips should be by negotiation with Suresh or another member of staff).
– Take a dawn or sunset walk around the historic citadel of Galle Fort, built from 1640 by the Dutch on the site of an earlier Portuguese fort.
– Ride inland on mountain bikes to discover a stunning emerald landscape of paddy fields, white-washed Buddhist temples, and rural villages.
– Spend the day on one of the golden beaches along the coast: Unawatuna, Thalpe or Mirissa.
– Go whale and dolphin watching from Mirissa.
– Visit the Virgin White Tea Plantation in Titagalla and learn how tea, cinnamon and rubber are produced.