The tastefully renovated Hill Rise is no ordinary tea planter’s house. Apart from the stunning location of daintily manicured gardens and the views over Gregory’s Lake, the villa’s new owners have horseracing interests and their own stables at the The Edwards Stables at Nuwara Eliya Turf Club close-by, open to visits by in-house guests at Hill Rise.
The fully staffed house, while having undergone a modern refurbishment, is reminiscent of its grand past with dated photographs adorning the walls of racing meets at the Turf Club. The light and spacious living area has three sets of French doors that open out on to a glorious garden. Villa facilities include a flat screen TV with satellite channels, iPod music, and free WIFI throughout the property.
– Guests are welcome to attend the races if there is a meet during the stay and to take a visit to see Hill Rise’s champion horses at the Stables
– Horse riding can be arranged on request.
– Biking and visits to organic farms can be arranged on request.
– Strolls round Gregory’s Lake, right in front of the house. For the more adventurous you can also waterski on the lake!
– Horton Plains and World’s End – which is just under one hour to get there by vehicle and then walks to viewpoints like World’s End and Bakers Fall can take up to 5 km each way. Various trails are on offer depending on your interest and physical fitness levels.
– Lover’s Leap Falls – it’s an easy walk to the falls after travelling about half hour. Lovely views of Nuwara Eliya town and precincts.
– Hakgala Botanical Gardens, the third of its kind after the main Peradeniya and Henerathgoda Gardens in Sri Lanka. Hakgala is renowned for summer blooms and April is the best time to visit.
– Take a walk around the city of Nuwara Eliya for its charming old buildings, markets and town.